Friday, March 5, 2010

MARCH FOuRTH

I was part of this very historic day because I got to perform my wonderful group, the Art Collective. Here's a snippet of our performance :)





I cannot even explain how monumental that day was. It started with a rally with thousands of people on our campus. I wasn't there in the rally at 11 am but I was on stage running through our Art Collective performance. The people started coming out to Library Walk so we had to go into Geisel to run through everything, and it was just so empowering to make some noise in that library. Then it was time for us to come back out to the stage. It was AMAZING to be surrounded by so many people of color and allies. We had to wait on the side of the stage while some speakers (faculty, staff, and students) spoke...then it was finally time to perform...to be in front of everyone, performing just gave me chills. I was in the middle of the group and the crowd and I was pretty nervous to speak but as soon as the Cajon started playing, I felt the intensity and the passion and I just delivered. As soon as I was done, I felt my fists clenched, cold and stiff. It was just so great to make those eye contacts with the crowd and to have been able to feed off their energy.

Then we went to get Shogun and just chilled before we got on the bus to go to the San Diego wide march in Downtown. The bus ride was fun, we were singing all the way there. Took a double shot of espresso. Then we were ready to rock and roll. As soon as we got out of the bus, it was as if everyone was awaiting us, because I guess our school was the last to come out. So as soon as we got there, we all started chanting "Real Pain, Real Action" and everybody surrounded us and watched us and it was just a really good feeling to have. Then we started marching from the World Beats Center all the way to the Governor's House which was about a mile and a half away. We got there and while there, we talked to a few professors and people. Then right before we left, we had a jam session with the drums, and people started singing and dancing, and it was just a good time!

Then we got back to campus in a van and we went to Professor Wayne's class for a bit, before we all headed to Roundtable on campus. He bought everybody pitchers of beer and pizzas for dayssss! Haha it was coo! I was surrounded by so many people I loved there. John took pictures of us in the phone booth in Roundtable, kinda like how they did for ANTM. LMAO. Afterwards, we decided to go to North Park in Heaven Sent Desserts for Elevated. We got pretty lost...but it was still fun cuz we had conversations based on racial tensions and sexuality. And when we got there, I got a Queen's Dream (mixture of coffee and tea) and it was sooo yummy! Then I re-met a cutie :) then back to campus we went.

ON the way back to campus, got to hear some pretty scandalous stories hahaha. Chilled in the "safe housing" in The Village for a bit before we got to chief off a brand new piece with some thirsties in the Gliderports. Crystal and I started dying, laughing at them thirstiness LMAO. Then back to my room on my queen size...sleeping alone.

Man that day was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. *snap snap snap* this was dope, sounded like an amazing day glad u were able to experience that

    ReplyDelete