Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekly Words of Wisdom


I went to mass this morning. I felt the need to thank the Lord for His wonderful blessings of love, faith, hope, and strength because this past week has tested my capacity for them, and I am glad to have them restored because of His grace.

So anyways, I was sitting, not really paying attention to the second reading, when something somehow caught my attention. Luckily it did, because I was about to hear one of the most inspiring passages on the Bible. The passage was from the First Letter of St. Paul to the Corinthians [1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13] and it went like this:


31But eagerly desire the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


I thought it was so ironic that this was the passage that I heard today because it was so appropriate to the emotions I had been associating with lately. I am surprising myself with my capability to love and embrace the kind of love that God wants us all to possess, and for that, I am grateful.

I'm learning that nothing can get in the way of genuine love especially when God is the center of it all. I know I'm not perfect. In fact, I still have things that I know I need to work on with myself [like stepping out of my comfort zone and not be so shy and appear "anti-social" at times] but I can do that all with Him.

I am empowered by His strength, bounded by His love, and saved by His grace. Every time I feel as if I can no longer go on, I simply talk to Him and ask for strength, and I feel renewed once again. I want to continue onto this path, His path, and His will. I want to continue to have faith, to have hope, and to have love like He taught me, and continues to teach me.


No comments:

Post a Comment